Thursday, April 9, 2009

Personal Opinion

I thought first that I should open this blog with my own view on the topic. Periodically, I will update this with both views of employers and employees as well as potential employees. However, I am not always going to give my opinion on what that article or person has said because it is their own view.

Currently I have 9 piercings and 8 tattoos. Out of my piercings, my ears and nose are the only visible ones. My only visible tattoo is a paw-print on the inside of my wrist that is no bigger than a quarter. I try to keep the level of ink and jewelry to a minimum because I want to be able to get employed. Everytime I have an interview, I still catch myself putting on a chunky watch or bracelet and taking my nose and ear piercings out. This is a hassel. I paid good money for my body art and I think it is stupid to have to take these things out to impress someone.

I am who I am. Personality and how good you are with people is not always dependent on what you look like. Of course, if I had "bad ass" tattooed across my forehead, i'd be a little more understanding. I don't however. A small, barely noticeable speck on my nose has kept me from getting a job before. I have qualifications that are very demanded in the workforce, yet there is all this stigma that still floats on the air about those that adorn body art.

Are there exceptions? Of course. An employee will be representing that company and the company doesn't want to look bad. I understand that. However, there should not be some of the strict policies that there is. A lawyer for instance. If I wanted to become a lawyer, I wouldn't go out and get my face tattooed because that would make me look like a doofus. I know that I wouldn't get clients if I had such a profound tattoo. However, is it far that you are denied because you decide to get 4 ear lobe piercings instead of the traditional two? If I wanted to become a doctor, I would avoid anything that would cause me or my patients harm. I'd consider carefully the effects of tattoos and piercings in such a high traffic environment where bad things are always occuring, but should I be turned down because I have a dolphin on my ankle? Those that want to be teachers will carefully choose tattoos that would be placed somewhere a student could see. A future teacher will not go out and get a naked lady on his forearm then dare to wear short sleeves in front of minors.

I guess what this gets down to is that tattoos and piercings sometimes represent ignorance. Oh, sorry, you have a naked woman on your arm, no teaching job. Well, that was stupid of you for not thinking ahead of time, should have gone for a dolphin. I know that I want to be a teacher. I have been carefull about what I want to get. Not because of my employers, but because of my students. I've been dying to get a tattoo just below my ear. I know it won't be anything profound or horrible, but I haven't bothered because I know if I pull my hair back during the interview that my job just got flushed down the drain.

What is the purpose of this blog exactly? I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps to open the eyes up of readers who have the opposite view I do. Maybe employers will stumble on this page and think a little bit differently. Perhaps more people will get rid of their fears and enter back into the workforce. Who knows? I'm just providing information, stories, interviews and everything else into one conveniant spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment